Bathroom

Our first project was the second bathroom and adjoining laundry room. These rooms are actually the newest part of the house, an addition made out of cinderblock, it is a 80 square foot space. We pretty much gutted the whole space. We had to tear out the floor; walking on it you could feel it flex, like you we're about to fall through. Turned out it was not built correctly. The floor joists were 2x4 instead of 4x6 and the plywood used was particle board. The hands that did this were in error (note to self: do it right the first time). It was good timing to replace the floor, because, I mentioned that the plumbing was ruined and there was a lot of plumbing under that floor, so we had to get that fixed. Now we did hire hands to do that. Plumbing was too much even for my DIY enthusiasm. While the plumbers were here we also had a new water heater installed.

We rearranged the layout of both rooms. The bathroom had a walk-in corner shower we tore out and made room for a bathtub/shower, and the washer and dryer hook ups were on different walls. We made it so they would sit next to each other. We also put in a pocket door that hides where the water heater and water pump are.

When the plumbers were done laying pipe we nailed down the new floor, using heavy duty flooring plywood. They helped us hook up the bathtub, sink and toilet, and then they were gone and we could move on to the fun part, finish work. We chose self-adhering vinyl patterned like marble tile for the floor. I was really happy with this flooring, check it out on the product page.The drywalling gave us the most trouble. For bathrooms you need to use the moisture and mold resistant kind. Since we were novices we had to measure, cut and re-cut multiple times. I don't think we ever got a light switch box cutout right. We gave up and just used little pieces to fill in the gaps. (Note to self: when you can't get it right, just cover it up, the plaster compound hides a multitude of sins). We also did not have a lift to help us cover the ceiling, so one of us would climb the ladder with a piece of drywall on our backs and hold it in place while the other put the screws in. You can imagine our frustration if we found we had cut it wrong (oh, good times, good times). After the drywall was finished we painted it with white primer and called those walls done . . . for now.